Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is my take on a Rachael Ray recipe (which is already posted here), but I wanted my version so I could make it again as we really liked it and I'm pretty sure mine's healthier, too.
- Remove sausages from casings.
- Brown and crumble sausage in a skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes; take off heat, cover, and let sit 15 minutes to finish cooking.
- Separate spinach leaves and let soak in water 10 minutes, swishing around a bit to remove all dirt.
- Drain sausage and remove to a bowl.
- Drain spinach and remove stems; put in saute pan.
- Add water to spinach and saute over medium heat until wilted.
- Cut the bread open, leaving one side attached; pull out some of the middle to create room.
- Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheese on the bottom of the loaf.
- Drain spinach well and put on top of cheese.
- Put cooked sausage on top of spinach then cover with provolone.
- Bake at 375* for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with fresh tomato.