Recipe by ssinderella
This is really similar to the hamburger stroganoff recipes that use cream of mushroom soup, but with a few additions and tweaks for my personal taste. When time is an issue, you can just whir the mushrooms, onions and garlic together in the food processor, but the end result is not as visually appealing than when you slice the mushrooms. I find the cream cheese lends a smoother flavor, and not quite as tangy as sour cream...That, and my daughter hates sour cream and wouldn't eat it if she saw me add it.
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 8 ounces lean beef (either ground or leftover roast(your choice)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 8 ounces beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces cooked egg noodles
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- in dutch oven or other heavy skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and saute the onion until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook for another minute.
- Add the mushrooms (and additional T butter if needed), salt and pepper and saute for 5-10 minutes or until mushrooms are golden brown.
- Add ground beef ( if using) and cook until beef is browned throughout. After mixture is brown, add the wine, deglazing the bottom of the pan, the broth, canned soup, the worcestechire and the tomato paste.
- If mixture is too thick, add a little water or stock to thin.
- Right before serving, stir in the cream cheese until mixed in well.
- Serve over noodles.