Easy Strawberry Shortcake
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a small bowl, stir together strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar and set aside (sometimes i add a little rum to soak).
- In medium bowl stir together remaining sugar, flour, and baking powder. Cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine egg and milk and add to flour mixture. Stir to moisten.
- Drop dough into 8 mounds on ungreased baking sheet. Flatten mound with back of spoon until about 3/4 inch thick.
- Bake about 10 minutes ad let cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut shortcakes in half horizontally and spoon in some strawberry mixture and add some whipped cream. Replace top halves of shortcakes and top with more strawberry mixture and whipped cream.