Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Some of the easiest shortcakes I have ever made.
- 6 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a small bowl, stir together strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar and set aside (sometimes i add a little rum to soak).
- In medium bowl stir together remaining sugar, flour, and baking powder. Cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine egg and milk and add to flour mixture. Stir to moisten.
- Drop dough into 8 mounds on ungreased baking sheet. Flatten mound with back of spoon until about 3/4 inch thick.
- Bake about 10 minutes ad let cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut shortcakes in half horizontally and spoon in some strawberry mixture and add some whipped cream. Replace top halves of shortcakes and top with more strawberry mixture and whipped cream.
What a nice simple quick recipe that makes fantastic shortcake. Thank you for sharing!
This is very good....much better than bisquick shortcake. Will make again.