Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This has to be good because it is by Barefoot Contessa- Ina Garten. No commercial pectin is used in this recipe, it gets it's gel from the apple.
- 3 pints fresh strawberries
- 3 cups superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur (recommended -- Grand Marnier)
- 1⁄2 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and small-diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh blueberries
- Place the strawberries in a colander and rinse them under cold running water. Drain and hull the strawberries. Cut the larger berries in half or quarters and leave the small berries whole. Place the strawberries in a deep, heavy-bottomed pot such as heavy Dutch oven and toss them with the sugar and orange-flavored liqueur.
- Bring the berry mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Add the apple and blueberries and continue to keep the mixture at a rolling boil, stirring occasionally, until the jam reaches 220 degrees on a candy thermometer. This should take 25 to 35 minutes. Skim and discard any foam that rises to the top. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature and then store covered in the refrigerator. It will keep refrigerated for at least 2 weeks. To keep the jam longer, pack and seal in canning jars according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Delicious to taste and pretty to look at! Follow this recipe exactly--including how much time it takes to reach 220 degrees on the thermometer. You won't be disappointed.