Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I have not tried this yet, but it sounds awesome and would go together in no time. The cream and strawberries sink to the bottom of the cake, forming a lush custard layer.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 egg whites
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- Prepare cake mix using ingredients and directions as listed on the box.
- Place in greased and floured 9x13" baking pan.
- Cover batter with strawberries.
- Sprinkle strawberries with sugar.
- Pour heavy whipping cream over ingredients in pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50 to 60 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly.
- This will need to be stored in the refrigerator.
I was looking for something to bring to game night and this looked so easy and so good that I had to try it. There was a couple of things I did a little differently. I used the yolk and the white of the eggs, and I substituted 5 packets of Splenda for the sugar, sprinkling it over the strawberries. Instead of flouring the pan I greased it, then sprinkled some of the dry cake mix in and then tapped the sides of the pan on the bench to spread it around, and the leftover mix went back in with the cake mix for the cake. I misread the recipe on the cake mix and used both the egg white and the yolk. Didn't make a difference other than to make the cake a light yellow. The Splenda sweetened the berries, which were quite tart, but they were not overly sweet and the cake was just sweet enough to counter balance the tartness of the berries. With Cool Whip on top it was just right for everyone, because I got rave reviews all over the place! Thank you Marie for sharing this quick and delicious cake with us. I will be making it again soon with strawberry season coming up soon! Linda
What is not to love about this cake! My company adored it so much and I got so many compliments on it from around the table that I think I need to move it over into my favorites right now! Yep, it's that good! I loved the sweet creaminess from the custard and the strawberries were another delicious bonus! Don't miss out on this one. It's got Yummy written all over it!