Recipe by Beachbunnymom
This is such an easy cake to make. My two little ones absolutely loved it. It is even better w/ a strawberry glaze as a filling. Enjoy!
Top Review by AQueen
Today was "cooking day" with my 9yo niece and she had requested "strawberry pie with filling and really tall". I had never made a layer cake before, although consider myself a decent and experienced homecook. This was the perfect opportunity to give it a try and should it turn out poorly I had an excuse! It turned out beautifully and was easy enough that I just verified measurements of ingredients and helped with the frosting. It was determined by all kids in the house to be soooo good I have to lick my plate. I followed the recipe exactly. We added red food coloring to the frosting otherwise it would have been yellowish from the pudding we used. Great recipe and super easy.
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package French vanilla cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour or 3 tablespoons cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup crushed fresh strawberries or 1⁄2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package French vanilla instant pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour 2-9 inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the gelatin in cold water. Stir in the cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, flour, and strawberries. Beat till well mixed. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes in preheated oven, or do toothpick test. Cool cakes in the pans for 10 minutes before inverting.
- To Make Frosting: Combine milk and pudding mix. Add lemon extract. Fold in frozen whipped topping. Frost cooled cakes. Top with fresh strawberries.