Recipe by Marie
An easy way to do macaroni and cheese when there is little time until dinner. No baking required.
Top Review by Rose is Rose
PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW!! I get extremely annoyed at those members who post these horrible reviews and then don't even bother to complete their pages. As far as I'm concerned, they just "hit and run". This recipe was featured the other day and I saved it to try. I have just now completed it and it is delicious! The only change I made was to use a Mexican style blend cheese, because that's what I had. It is not grainy, gritty or disgusting. Remember, the cheese you select to use will dictate the taste of the dish. I have no burned flour taste. I completely melted the butter, whisked in the flour, whisked in the milk and then kept whisking until it was thickened to my satisfaction. I left it a bit runny, because the starch from the pasta will cause it to "draw" up. Removed from the heat, stirred in the cheese until it was melted and creamy, then stirred in the elbows. Pure mac and cheese heaven! This is a classic recipe and not to be confused with a boxed mix or that made with Velveeta. Velveeta isn't even classified as real cheese (and I still love it!). Marie, thank you again for another wonderful recipe. This is a keeper and I will use it often because it's such a fast meal. To those of you who left rotten reviews, "LEARN TO COOK" before you post such nonsense. Also, if a man leaves you because you flopped a dish--men are like streetcars--another one will come along shortly.
- 226.79 g elbow macaroni
- 59.14 ml butter
- 59.14 ml flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.25 ml black pepper
- 473.18 ml milk
- 473.18 ml shredded cheddar cheese or 226.79 g cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in flour, and cook for 3-5 minutes to form a roux; add salt and pepper; slowly add milk, stirring well after each addition.
- Cook and stir until bubbly.
- Stir in cheese a small amount at a time until fully melted.
- Drain macaroni; add to cheese sauce; stir to coat.