Recipe by Moegourmet
All of the flavours of classic lasagna in a quick stove-top version, ready in a fraction of the time. For an extra special presentation, sprinkle shredded Mozzarella on top of cooked dish and broil for 2 min or until melted. Excellent source of Folacin and Calcium.
Top Review by currybunny
This is a delicious, easy midweek meal, perfect for a cold night and would go excellently with some crusty bread and a salad. I used low fat milk and spiral pasta; I don't have a grill a pan could fit under, so I added some chopped fresh mozzarella, parmesan and tasty cheese to the lasagne when I added the spinach/egg mix and simmered it, covered, for a bit over 10 minutes to get the cheese all nice and melty! The spinach part of this is ace, particularly combined with the mozzarella, I'd use more spinach next time. We really enjoyed this and are looking forward to the leftovers - thank you for posting!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 cups prepared pasta sauce (1jar)
- 2 cups cavatappi pasta or 2 cups fusilli
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- in large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown beef; drain off any fat. Reduce heat to medium and add garlic, onion, basil, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 5 min or until onion is softened.
- Add Milk and bring to boil, reduce heat and boil gently until about two-thirds of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in pasta sauce and cavatappi and 1 cup of water, bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium=low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 min or until pasta is almost tender.
- Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk egg and ¼ cup parmesan. Stir in spinach. Drop mixture by large sponfuls on top of pasta mixture. Cover and simmer for 10 min longer or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with remaining grated Parmesan cheese.