1/3 Photos of Easy Sticky Rice (In a Pasta Pot)
There are many recipes for sticky rice here, but his one is easy and doesn't require fancy equipment. From Cracking the Coconut, an award winning Thai cookbook by Su-Mei Yu, owner of my favorite Thai restaurant in San Diego. Yield is dependent on how much rice you make. I've stated 2 cups only because the site requires an amount. PREP TIME DOES NOT INCLUDE SOAKING TIME!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 corn husks (or more, fresh or dried and soaked for 30 mins)
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1Rinse the amount of rice you're using three times, then fill a bowl with cool water and let the rice soak overnight. It takes 5-6 hours for the rice to fully expand and soften.
- 2TIP: a good shortcut is to soak the rice in very warm water. When the water is cool, the rice will be soft. The water will turn murky and the rice grains slightly slimy, rinse once more in cool water. It might not be as soft and sticky as rice that has been soaked overnight, but it will do the job.
- 3Test to see if the rice is ready by pressing a grain lightly with your fingernails. If it breaks easily, it's ready.
- 4Line the steamer basket insert of a pasta pot with fresh corn husks or soaked dried corn husks (easy to find in Hispanic markets). Spray the husks with oil to prevent the rice from sticking, then spread the soaked rice evenly over the husks.
- 5Fill the pot with water to just under the steamer basket insert. Put the steamer insert into the pot, cover and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- 6Steam the rice for at least 20 minutes, or longer.
- 7Transfer the rice to a serving bowl when ready to serve. Cover the rice with some corn husks to keep it moist and warm.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Sticky Rice (In a Pasta Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1369.0
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 25.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 302.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 25.2 g