Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
An amazingly healthy and economical pudding. This is a great way to use up stale bread, and what's more, it has NO added fat, eggs or sugar! Cooking time is mostly passive.
- Combine milk with bicarb and set aside.
- Grease a 6 cup capacity basin.
- Place all ingredients except custard into a large bowl and mix well.
- Pour into prepared basin and cover securely with foil.
- Place basin into a large saucepan, and pour in enough water to come halfway up the sides of the basin.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat, then simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Serve warm, cut in wedges, and drizzled with custard.