Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I've tried a few copycat recipes for the Starbucks Coffee Cake. This by far is the best and easiest that I have tried since the base starts with a boxed cake mix. I think it tastes pretty close to the "real deal" and hope you enjoy it too!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (use amount specified by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil (use amount specified by your cake mix)
- 3 eggs (use amount specified by your cake mix)
- 1 cup cold salted butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla
- powdered sugar (for dusting)
- Prepare cake mixe in large bowl according to directions on box. (cake mix, water, oil, and eggs).
- Spray 9X13 pan with non-stick spray.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until center is just barely set.
- While cake is baking, prepare crumb topping.
- In large bowl of electric mixer combine, butter, flour, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla until all crumbly.
- Immediately after cake is removed from oven, break crumb topping into marble size pieces with fingers, sprinkling over top.
- Put back in oven and bake an additional 10-15 minutes (topping will begin to look a little less wet/raw).
- Let cool fully then dust with powdered sugar, using a sieve.
- Cut into squares and serve.
I've never had Starbuck's coffee cake, but this was great! I made mine extra rich by using Duncan Hines Butter Golden cake mix and used creamer instead of water when baking. I also add 1/2 sugar and 3 tbl of margarine for the topping and it seriously turned out heavenly!! My friend loves coffee cake and she couldn't put it down! Thanks!
This is very good and really easy. I don't think it tastes quite like Starbucks coffee cake, but it is good. It is actually very similar to my MIL's recipe. Will make again.