A very easy to prepare sponge cake recipe that I've been baking for 20+ years. A favourite with everyone.
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Grease and flour two round 20 cm (8") cake tins using 1 teaspoon castor sugar and 1 teaspoon flour mixed together.
- Sift dry ingredients together 3 times.
- Separate egg whites from yolks carefully making sure no yolk is mixed into the white.
- Beat whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar and yolks one at a time. Add vanilla.
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients until just barely mixed through.
- Pour evenly into the 2 tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Turn out to cool on racks immediately.
- When cool, sandwich with jam and whipped cream. Ice and decorate top.