Recipe by -Sheri-
This is right off the Sunny Select Bag of Peas. It's lighter in calories and fat then most split pea recipes. Delicious!
Top Review by mufasasamson
Thank you for saving this recipe. Sunny Select no longer prints this recipe on the bag. When I made the soup I substituted 1 lb. cooked bacon & one teaspoon of bacon grease. Not the healthiest recipe, but it was a big hit with everyone that has had it. I serve the soup with diced ham, shredded cheese, green onions and bacon bits ( just like a Pea Anderson's did in the past)
- 473.18 ml dried peas
- 1892.72 ml water
- 1 ham bone
- 236.59 ml chopped celery
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 118.29 ml diced carrot
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.23 ml thyme
- lite salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse peas, add water, and bring to a boil simmering for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 1 hour.
- Add remaining ingredients and heat to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer, covered 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until peas are soft.
- Remove bone and slice up meat adding it to soup.