Recipe by Andtototoo!
I have a more complicated recipe for spinach and paneer cheese curry, but decided to modify it to make it easier. I think that it actually tastes better this way.
- 1 lb frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 tablespoons oil
- 8 ounces paneer cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 cup cream or 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup beaten yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw the frozen spinach in the microwave for 7 minutes on high, or until well thawed. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Put the thawed spinach into a food processor. Add the tomato, flour, ginger, ground coriander, cayenne powder and turmeric. Puree.
- In a large nonstick frying pan put the oil and heat over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the cubed paneer cheese and cook until well browned. Place the cheese on paper towels to drain and set aside.
- Remove half the remaining oil in the frying pan. Reheat the pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the spinach mixture and stir-fry for about 10 minutes until everything is well cooked.
- Add the salt and garam masala and stir to blend.
- Remove pan from the heat and stir in half the cream, milk or yogurt (or a combination). When well blended, add the rest of the cream, milk or yogurt and mix again. Add extra dairy if you like it creamier.
- Put the frying pan back on the heat. Stir in the fried cheese and cook just until the curry is heated through.
- Good served with either rice or Indian bread. Also delicious adding a bit of it to an omelet.
- Variations: Instead of paneer cheese, you could add diced potatoes, chickpeas, or frozen green peas stirred in at the end.