Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A great easy side dish or perfect entree for a vegetarian. Adapted from a recipe out of the Dallas Morning News 10+ years ago.
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine-medium
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (you can even use low-fat)
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (mild-medium is fine)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, chopped and THAWED
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients and place in an olive oil greased 2 quart baking dish with a tight fitting lid.
- Bake 65 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked through.
- Baking time may vary depending on shape and dimensions of 2 quart dish.