Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are a favorite in my house, they are incredibly easy to make and so good!. A good olive oil and Parmesan cheese is a must with this. Purchase the long narrow French baguette for this and make certain that it is a day old, it makes slicing easier. I have even made these using melted butter in place of olive oil, and added in some garlic powder with the cayenne/cheese mixture. If you like super spicy just increase the cayenne slightly. These make a great late-nite or weekend snack! Yield is only estimated depending on the size of the baguette.
- 1 French baguette (use a day old bread)
- 78.07 ml olive oil (you might need a bit more)
- 2.46 ml salt (or to taste)
- 473.18 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- Set oven to 375 degrees (oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Prepare a one or two large baking sheets.
- Slice the baguette into 1/4-inch slices and arrange in a single layer on baking sheet/s.
- brush one side with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Toss the cheese with the cayenne pepper.
- Remove the toasts from oven and sprinkle with the cheese/cayenne mixture.
- Place back into the oven and bake for 6-8 minutes more, until the cheese melts and the toasts are golden.
- Cool completely.
These are tasty and easy to make. I halved the recipe for an afternoon snack for 2; they would be wondrous served with a salad! I enjoyed the spice of the cayenne and the zing of the parmesan. I usually have these ingredients on hand, so I'll be making these often! Thanks for sharing, Kitten!
I made these to carry out of town with us over the holiday weekend. They are great when they are fresh out of the oven but don't expect them to hold up overnight (at least they didn't for me). I placed them in a plastic baggie and the next day they were tough and chewy, I ended up throwing them away. I will use the recipe again but being sure they will be eaten right away.
so simple..so good..makes me wonder..why didn't I think of that.. had a loaf on the counter since yeaterday afternoon...PERFECT..yum yum thanks for sharing