This is a easy and simple way to prepare a nutritious side dish of greens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare the kale and mustard greens by cutting middle stem out of each leaf. Rinse the leaves thoroughly.
- 2Cut the greens into strips that are about 1 inch by 3-4 inches.
- 3Add 4 tsp of water to a 2 quart pot. bring to boil on medium heat.
- 4Add the kale first, then the mustard greens pour 1/4 teaspoon into the greens and cover tightly with lid.
- 5Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the greens are wilted and tender.
- 6When the greens are done cooking, they should be dark green. Keep the lid on the pot and set aside.
- 7In a small saucepan heat 1 tsp oil or butter until almost smoking at medium high heat.
- 8Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. They will pop and sizzle. turn heat to medium.
- 9Add green chili pepper and crushed garlic and fry until lightly browned. Optional: add 1/8 teaspoon red chili pepper.
- 10Pour mixture over greens. Add remaining salt (1/2 tsp) to taste.
- 11Serve with a dash of lime juice (brings out the flavor of the greens).
Browse Our Top Collard Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Collard Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Spicy Kale & Mustard Greens
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 48.8
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 468.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 2.9 g