Recipe by Allura
This is a easy and simple way to prepare a nutritious side dish of greens.
Top Review by Kitchen Playtime
This is an easy and extremely tasty way to prepare greens. I love the mix of kale and mustards. I did not have a green chili so I substituted 2T of green salsa and I also went with the red pepper flakes that were optional. We are garlic freaks so I put in 3 cloves. Love the whole mustard and cumin seeds. Will make this one often.
- 3 cups kale (1 bunch)
- 3 cups mustard greens (1 bunch)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon green chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced or crushed)
- 1 lime wedge
- 4 teaspoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the kale and mustard greens by cutting middle stem out of each leaf. Rinse the leaves thoroughly.
- Cut the greens into strips that are about 1 inch by 3-4 inches.
- Add 4 tsp of water to a 2 quart pot. bring to boil on medium heat.
- Add the kale first, then the mustard greens pour 1/4 teaspoon into the greens and cover tightly with lid.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the greens are wilted and tender.
- When the greens are done cooking, they should be dark green. Keep the lid on the pot and set aside.
- In a small saucepan heat 1 tsp oil or butter until almost smoking at medium high heat.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. They will pop and sizzle. turn heat to medium.
- Add green chili pepper and crushed garlic and fry until lightly browned. Optional: add 1/8 teaspoon red chili pepper.
- Pour mixture over greens. Add remaining salt (1/2 tsp) to taste.
- Serve with a dash of lime juice (brings out the flavor of the greens).