Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a easy and simple way to prepare a nutritious side dish of greens.
- 3 cups kale (1 bunch)
- 3 cups mustard greens (1 bunch)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon green chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced or crushed)
- 1 lime wedge
- 4 teaspoons water
- Prepare the kale and mustard greens by cutting middle stem out of each leaf. Rinse the leaves thoroughly.
- Cut the greens into strips that are about 1 inch by 3-4 inches.
- Add 4 tsp of water to a 2 quart pot. bring to boil on medium heat.
- Add the kale first, then the mustard greens pour 1/4 teaspoon into the greens and cover tightly with lid.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the greens are wilted and tender.
- When the greens are done cooking, they should be dark green. Keep the lid on the pot and set aside.
- In a small saucepan heat 1 tsp oil or butter until almost smoking at medium high heat.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. They will pop and sizzle. turn heat to medium.
- Add green chili pepper and crushed garlic and fry until lightly browned. Optional: add 1/8 teaspoon red chili pepper.
- Pour mixture over greens. Add remaining salt (1/2 tsp) to taste.
- Serve with a dash of lime juice (brings out the flavor of the greens).
This is an easy and extremely tasty way to prepare greens. I love the mix of kale and mustards. I did not have a green chili so I substituted 2T of green salsa and I also went with the red pepper flakes that were optional. We are garlic freaks so I put in 3 cloves. Love the whole mustard and cumin seeds. Will make this one often.
No need to add any water to the pot if you toss the greens in immediately after washing them. I used a mixture of several greens, including collard greens, radish greens, beet greens, and turnip greens. Delicious! I will be making this again when I have an abundance of greens.