Recipe by Anu
This is a fantastic recipe for curried peas, spicy, flavourful and quick! Adjust the amount of red chili powder if you want to reduce the spiciness. If using fresh peas, you might need to add a little water to cook the peas. With frozen peas, additional water is not necessary.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
Quite good! I made it for lunch this afternoon for mom, my brother and myself. I used 3 1/4 cups of greenpeas, 3/4 tsp. red chilli powder, 3/4 tsp. salt, and the same quantities of the remaining ingredients. I cooked this for 20-25 minutes. We enjoyed it with rotis, rice and bread(I had a little with each!) Note: I didn't have readymade coconut milk, so I made it by dissolving 4 tsps. of coconut-milk powder in some water in a bowl, mixed well and then used it.
- 4 teaspoons coconut milk
- 3⁄8 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 3⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil or 2 teaspoons ginger oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lb frozen peas or 1 lb fresh peas
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, mix together coconut milk, red chile powder, coriander, turmeric, and salt.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, cinnamon stick, and cumin seeds; saute until onions are soft.
- Stir in tomatoes, peas, and coconut milk mixture.
- Reduce heat, and simmer until the peas are tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve hot over basmati rice, chappatis, tortillas or bread.