Recipe by newspapergal
I got this recipe about three years ago from the back of a can of tomatoes (Delmonte, I think), and it's been a hit with my husband -- who isn't a soup fan generally. It's a very easy but good comforting winter soup that also freezes well. Also easy to double recipe.
Top Review by bmcnichol
I also made this as my weekly soup for lunches. This soup gets better once it sits. It is a mild flavored soup but when first cooked is pretty bland. Once it sat overnight, the flavors got better. I followed the recipe exactly as written using the chicken broth and Lipton's red beans and rice mix. I topped my serving with Colby Jack cheese. I froze some for future lunches. My youngest really enjoyed this also. This is a very easy soup to make.
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken, seasoned (I prefer breasts)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 package red beans and rice mix
- shredded cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chicken with either Cajun or Mexican seasonings-- sometimes I bake the chicken, and sometimes I saute it.
- (I've also cut up a store-bought rotisserie chicken for this).
- Dice cooked chicken.
- Prepare red beans& rice (I like Zatarrain's) per package directions.
- (it has to cook about 30 min) Meanwhile, combine chicken broth& diced tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- When boiling, add diced chicken.
- Reduce heat and cook about 10 minutes.
- Add prepared beans and rice; heat through.
- Spoon into bowls and top with cheese.