Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I know there are several recipes out there for this item, but my family swears by this one (we even served at Christmas Eve one year and it was a crowd pleaser). To make this recipe even faster, you can use the rotisserie chicken's from the grocery store, or in a pinch, poach the chicken breasts in salted water for 10-15 minutes.
- 2 large skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans (drained)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, chopped (leave the ribs and seeds in if you want this hot)
- 1 fresh ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped (separate the whites and greens)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 fajita-sized flour tortillas
- 2 cups grated cheese (Colby jack, cheddar, whatever you prefer)
- poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- In a bowl, mix the shredded chicken and spices (cumin, paprika, red pepper, salt) and set aside.
- Into a medium frying pan at medium/medium-high heat add your oil, green bell pepper, white onion, jalapeno, garlic, and black beans. Cook until the black beans soften slightly and the garlic is fragrant (about 3-5 minutes). Add tomatoes, whites of the green onions, cilantro, cumin, and paprika. Stir to combine and take off the heat.
- To assemble, spray a large frying pan with non-stick spray (grill pan or griddle will work well) set to medium/medium-high heat and place a single tortilla in the middle.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of cheese (about 3 tablespoons) over the surface, add a layer of the vegetable mix (about 3 tablespoons) to half the tortilla, and the same amount of your shredded chicken to the same half, finally sprinkle over about a teaspoon of your reserved un-cooked green onions. Apply another 3 tablespoons of cheese to the top, cover and allow to melt for about 2-3 minutes.
- Using a spatula, flip the un-topped half over the topped half, pressing lightly, cover and cook another 2-3 minutes so all the cheese has melted and the tortilla is crispy.
- Continue until all your veggie and chicken mixes are used up. Setting your finished quesadillas on a cooling rack in the oven set to low. When ready to serve, cut with a pizza cutter into slices and enjoy! These are great with a side of sour cream and/or guacamole.
I can attest to this recipe. I had it prepared by SuzanneThePainter in person. It was grand!