Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a pseudo-jerk chicken marinade that makes chicken suitable for a number of uses - with grilled vegetables, in fajitas, etc.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1⁄2 tablespoon rum
- 1 habanero pepper, seeds and membranes removed, finely minced
- 1 lb chicken breast, 1-inch wide strips
- Combine olive oil, lime juice, sugar, spices, rum, and pepper.
- Place chicken slices in a zippered plastic baggie and add marinade. Squeeze air out of the bag, zipper shut and massage marinade into the chicken.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Heat non-stick pan. Cook chicken on each side for 2 to 3 minutes.
- If serving with vegetables: remove chicken from pan and keep warm in a 170 degree oven. Saute vegetables until desired consistency and then add chicken. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer. Serve over rice.
Not bad, kinda spicy and very sweet.
Fantastic recipe! We keep a jar of habanero peppers in the fridge just for this marinade. We cut the pepper up and scrape out the majority of the seeds and let the chicken sit in the marinade for at least 6 hours for maximum heat.