Recipe by Kiki Freebird
Greek comfort food. This version is easy, and I've tweaked the original recipe to make it a bit healthier. Feel free to use full-fat ingredients where I use fat free. It's up to you.
- 2 lbs fresh spinach, washed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups egg substitute, beaten (I use Egg Beaters or All-Whites. With those, 1 egg equals 1/4 cup of the egg substitute. You could a)
- 1 lb fat free feta cheese, crumbled
- 12 phyllo pastry sheets (follow directions on box. Do not thaw.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Loosely chop spinach, place in large bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Saute garlic and onions in oil until tender and fragrant. Add to bowl with spinach.
- Add beaten eggs and crumbled feta cheese to bowl with spinach.
- Stir to combine.
- Spray 9x13" baking pan with cooking spray.
- Layer 6 phyllo sheets in pan, spraying each lightly with cooking spray before adding next sheet. (I use an olive oil or butter flavored spray, or an olive oil mister).
- Place spinach mixture on top of phyllo sheets.
- Layer 6 more phyllo sheets, remembering to spray each one lightly with cooking spray before adding the next sheet.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Sprinkle some paprika on top and cut into squares to serve.