Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I learned this recipe from an old friend of mine. All of her recipes came from her Spanish grandmother so when she cooked, I soaked in all the knowledge I could! This recipe is super versatile and can be tweaked a ton of different ways. This is my personal favorite. Enjoy!
- 236.59 ml long grain rice
- 113.39-170.09 g tomato sauce
- 414.03 ml chicken broth (I usually substitute water and 2 chicken bouillon cubes)
- salt and black pepper (I use garlic salt)
- 14.79 ml canola oil (can use olive oil or vegetable oil instead)
- 236.59 ml Mexican blend cheese (shredded)
- 1 green onion (sliced-optional)
- Heat 1tbsp of oil in a medium sauce pan over medium to medium high heat. In a separate bowl, whisk together the chicken broth and tomato sauce until fully incorporated. Add rice to the heated oil and stir frequently until it begins to turn a golden brown color. Add broth/tomato mixture to the pan all at once add garlic salt and pepper and stir. Continue cooking until liquid starts to boil then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20 minute Remove from heat still covered and let steam for an extra 5 minutes. Fluff with fork sprinkle cheese and green onions over the top if desired, recover until melted and serve.