Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
A flavorful side dish to serve with your favorite Mexican foods!
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
- Spray 10-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Cook rice and onion in skillet over medium heat about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until rice is golden brown and onion is tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender.
I used 1 full tsp. of chili powder for more kick. It was tastey but next time (to suit my family's preferences) I'll use more tomato sauce and less water. Good recipe!