1/3 Photos of Easy Spanakopita Bites
Delicious muffin-like snacks -- eaten hot or cold -- or warmed up as a side dish. Fantastic for busy times and guests, as they can be made ahead, kept in the fridge, heated up and served with other goodies on a platter. Also nice served with a tomato salsa with a bite, or plain with grated Parmesan cheese. Recipe from a great Mediterrranean-type restaurant in the Winelands of the Cape, called Olivello -- but as usual I tweaked it a little.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup cream cheese (I used low-fat, 230 g tub)
- 7 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (250 g, drained)
- 7 ounces baby spinach leaves (250 g English spinach, not chard)
- 3 eggs, largest size
- 1/4 cup selfraising flour (about 62 ml)
- 1 cup spring onion, finely chopped, white and green parts (about 1 bunch)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (actually, a teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (ditto)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarse
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated (or less, to taste)
- 1Put a pot of water on to boil, and when boiling, chuck in the spinach. Boil for about 3 - 4 minutes, until wilted and soft. Drain well in a colander, and cut up roughtly with a knife and fork.
- 2Grease a muffin tin with oil or butter (I use a silicone muffin pan which is really great). Heat oven to 325 deg F/160 degC or 150 deg C for fan/convection ovens.
- 3Put all the ingredients in a large bowl, and mix roughly with a wooden spoon. (I did not find that extra salt was necessary, but you may want to add a little).
- 4Then mix well together with an electric beater.
- 5Fill 12 muffin holes -- you can fill almost to the top, and they won't rise high and cause a mess.
- 6Bake about 40 minutes, until firm and starting to colour just a little. Cool in the tin, then remove. Serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
- 7(Can easily be a nice side dish if served warm).
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Spanakopita Bites
Serving Size: 1 (1033 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 183.9
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 90.7 mg
- Sodium 417.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 9.3 g