Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A great finger food for get togethers. Easy to make and so good with flaky phyllo dough and spinach.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (I use Frank's Red Hot)
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 14 sheets phyllo dough, defrosted
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Cook the onions in a saute pan with 1 tablespoon each of butter and olive oil until soft and translucent (4 minute on medium).
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about another 2 min.).
- Combine onions, garlic, spinach, salt and pepper, hot sauce, egg, feta, Parmesan, and cottage cheeses together in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining 3 tablespoons each of melted butter and olive oil.
- Grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- Place one sheet of phyllo on the bottom of the dish brush with the butter mixture.
- Top with another sheet of phyllo dough and brush with butter mixture.
- Repeat this process until you have a total of seven sheets of phyllo dough.
- Spread all of the spinach mixture over the top of the last layer of dough.
- Then repeat the process of layering the remaining Place one sheet of phyllo over the spinach mixture and paint it with the oil mixture.
- Repeat with the remaining seven sheets of dough, brushing each new layer with the butter mixture, making sure to butter the top layer.
- Bake at 375°F until the top is golden brown (about 45 minutes).
- Cut spanakopita to make little triangles.
I made this recipe for PAC 08' and followed it exactly. It was very easy and full of flavor. I will be making this again during the holidays....thanks for sharing!!
Yummy, my mum makes the Turkish Cypriot version of this, but she could never tell me the recipe because she uses estimates with her hands for the amounts. So I'm glad I found a similar recipe that we all enjoyed. The only change I did was I used egg substitute otherwise kept to the recipe. The taste was wonderful. Thank you Allybee Z
This was easy and tasted absolutely wonderful. I followed the recipe exactly. Thank you for posting!