Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Easy and delicious spaghetti squash casserole. It can be made low carb, and gluten free.
- 1 spaghetti squash (med-smallish)
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce or 1 cup fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mushroom (sliced or diced)
- 1 small sweet onion
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup Italian sausage (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter (may use just oil if vegan)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup shredded mexican cheese or 1 cup Italian cheese blend
- 1 scoop sour cream or 1 scoop Greek yogurt
- 1. Cut spaghetti squash in half (length wise). Scoop out seed from center. Put in baking pan cut side down. Pour in 2 cups water (enough to cover bottom of pan plus a little). Cover with foil. Bake 350 degrees for approximately one hour - depending on size. Test for doneness with a fork. Fork should pierce the squash easily. (if you like your squash less done then cook accordingly).
- 2. When done take fork/spoon and scrape out the fibers of the squash. Drain well to get rid of liquid.
- WHILE SQUASH IS BAKING:
- 3. Brown up ground beef and Italian sausage. Drain. Set aside.
- WHILE SQUASH IS BAKING ABOUT 1/2 WAY THROUGH (@30 MIN MARK):.
- 4. Dice up onions and mushrooms.
- 5. Sautee onion in butter/oil. When onions start to brown add mushrooms. When done add in spaghetti sauce and/or fire roasted tomatoes. Heat til warm. Remove from heat.
- 6. Mix in baked squash, ground beef, sausage and parmesan cheese. Transfer to baking dish. Top with 1 cup. shredded cheese.
- 7. Bake 350 until cheese is melted and slightly browning. About 1/2 hour.
- 8. Remove from oven serve. Serve with spoonful of sour cream or plain greek yogurt.