This was a recipe that I learned from a neighbor in Ohio. There are other recipes out there like this one, but this is the easiest one I've found, and in my opinion, the best tasting...I always make 2 of these at a time and share the 2nd with friends who in turn share a dish with my family...Or you could make it all in one big 9 x 13" rectangular pan...It's a keeper for sure! (And quite the ice-breaker, I must say!)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (16 ounce) pasta sauce with mushrooms (Prego is the perfect brand for this!)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (Kraft grated)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 (16 ounce) carton ricotta cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) package thin spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Brown ground beef and garlic in skillet. Drain well.
- Mix cooked and drained ground beef/garlic mixture with the Prego spaghetti sauce in a large skillet. Cook on medium/low until heated through.
- Beat eggs and add parmesan cheese in a large bowl.
- Add cooked and drained pasta (cooled slightly so as not to "scramble" the eggs) and toss well to coat.
- Spread pasta mixture on bottom and up sides of 2- 9" glass deep dish pie plates. (Press it down firmly with a spoon to resemble the shape of a pie crust.).
- Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning evenly on pasta mixture on each 9" pie.
- Spread 1/2 Ricotta cheese evenly on EACH pie, over the pasta mixture.
- Top each pie with 1/2 the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle each pie with 1 cup mozzerella cheese. (I sprinkle a little bit more Parmesan cheese on top -- ).
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, until the cheese melts and is SLIGHTLY crispy on top.
- Let stand and cool for 5 minutes, and then cut into wedges.