Recipe by hedgiehog
l learned how to make bolognese sauce from my English mother in law. Over the years I've changed it up a bit. My husband and kids love it and it has become a staple in our home. I make it at least a few times a month. If you would like a healthier version or if you don't eat beef you can make it with ground turkey as well. It's just as delicious!
- 1 (13 ounce) box spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb minced beef (ground)
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- shredded parmesan cheese, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat with the 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, put in the onions and fry for a few minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the garlic and fry a few minutes more. Add the mince, salt and pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Cook until the mince is no longer pink. If you have a lot of oil, you may want to drain it at this point.
- Add the can of tomato sauce, the can of diced tomatoes and half a can of water. Stir in the sugar and the Worcestershire sauce. The sugar cuts the bitterness of the tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil and then lower so the sauce can simmer for at least an hour.
- Prepare the spaghetti according to the package directions and drain.
- Serve the sauce over the spaghetti and sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Add a green salad and garlic bread for a great meal.Enjoy!