Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got the recipe from all different sources and combined them. My Grandma's family is from the south so that where she got it from (and we all know that there's no food like southern cooking, lol !!!) I am also do research on cajun/creole food and this came up as a recipe that they use, so I hope that you enjoy!
- 8 slices stale bread
- 4 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (firmly packed in)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups evaporated milk (also called 'carnation' or 'condensed' milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter (set aside).
- Cut the slices of bread into cubes (set aside.
- Beat eggs and add the brown sugar, vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and evaporated milk (MIX WELL TOGETHER).
- Lightly grease or butter aluminum pan or casserole baking dish.
- Put bread cubes into aluminum pan and add raisins. Pour melted butter over it .
- Pour mixture (brown sugar, vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon,milk) over it.
- Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon on top of bread mixture.
- Place in the oven for 1 hour or until brown.
Super recipe - I made vanilla sauce to go with it too!
This was pretty good. A little sweet for my taste, think I would cut it down some next time. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup melted butter but doesn't say when to add it. I forgot it all together. It was still good. Will do this one again.