Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Not many ingredients in the dough; easy to mix, chill and fill, and the finished product is "oh, so good".
For the dough
- 1 lb butter
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
For the filling
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar (optional but good)
- For dough:.
- Cut butter into flour.
- Mix egg yolks with sour cream and add to flour mix.
- Mix well.
- Divide dough into 6 or 8 parts.
- Flatten each into small patty shape.
- Wrap each patty in plastic wrap and chill at least 6 hours or overnight.
- For filling:.
- Combine nuts, sugars, and lemon rind and set aside.
- Beat egg whites a little with a fork and set aside.
- To assemble:.
- Remove one patty at a time from fridge and roll out on a floured board to a 9" circle.
- Now smear some egg white over the circle of dough.
- Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of sugar/nut mixture over that.
- Cut into 12 pie-shaped wedges.
- Roll up, curve into crescent shape, dip tops in egg whites, then in nut mixture and arrange on prepared cookie sheets.
- Repeat with balance of dough.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Makes 72, 96, or more, depending on how many times you divide the dough.