Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You can use dark vanilla or use almond extract in place of the clear vanilla, add in food colouring if desired to create pastel colours, this makes a lot of icing but you can freeze leftovers it for another time. I like to add in the zest of a whole lemon.
Top Review by Ultimate Food Junkie
Tried this one too! Very very yummy.... used it under my fondant, didn't hold up all that well because it's so creamy, but I didn't care because I wanted some good tasting icing underneath so when people pulled the fondant off it was still yummy cake!!! Everyone loved it!! Thanks!!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature (preferably unsalted)
- 1 cup plain Crisco shortening, room temperature
- 5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (more if needed)
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream (more if needed, or use 1/4 cup 18% table cream and 1/4 cup whipping cream)
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl cream the butter and Crisco until light and fluffy.
- Add in the confectioners sugar in three additions until well combined.
- Add in vanilla then cream (start with 1/2 cup) beat until completely combined, adding in more whipping cream (and 18% cream if needed to reach desired consistancy).
- Store an leftovers in the refrigerator or freeze.