Recipe by Demelza
I was having company for dinner one bitterly cold day (-40 something with the windchill). I wanted a warming soup to start our meal and this is what I came up with. I used the slowcooker, but you could easily do it in a pot on the stove. I had cooked up a package of small white beans, so had homemade beans to use in the soup. Canned ones would work just as well. The vegetable amounts do not have to be exact. Add other veg as desired, some sliced baby zuchinni added near the end would be good. If you use rice or barley instead of pasta add at the last 45 minutes of cooking time. This is nice served with my Best Ever Focaccia, Best Ever Focaccia. Garnish the soup with a ltitle chopped flat leaf Italian parsley if you have some on hand. This makes enough for 4 people as a main course, or about 8 as a starter. .
Top Review by mama smurf
Made this today for our lunch and I cooked it on the stovetop. I followed the instructions and used pasta and for DHs bowl I did add some rotissere chicken for some meat. Oh yes, I did cut it down for the two of us. Thank you for a wonderful soup! Made for New Kids on the Block tag game I since I tagged it "Tinkerbell" has made and reviewed it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 cup quartered mixed mushrooms
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup bell pepper, orange & yellow, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups v 8 juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (or veg broth for a vegan version)
- 2⁄3 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup cooked navy beans (any small white bean, rinse if using tinned)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup small shell pasta (orzo, rice or even barley)
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in large frying pan, saute mushrooms, celery & peppers about 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add sauted vegetables & V8 juice to 1 1/2 quart slow cooker.
- Deglaze your pan with the chicken broth to get the browned bits & add to the slow cooker.
- Stir in carrots, beans and half of the Italian seasoning.
- Cover & cook on high for 3 - 4 hours.
- Add pasta, salt and pepper to taste, & the rest of the Italian seasoning during last 30 minutes of cooking time.