Recipe by Barb G.
Serve with a Green Salad, Bread and Wine, such as, Pinot Noir or Zinfandel for a perfect meal. Cook time is 5 to 9 hours.
Top Review by Audrey M
I have made this recipe for years. It is so good and with the leftover chicken and stock you can make homemade chicken noodle soup. I add cut up celery instead of potatoes because I serve mash potatoes with my chicken. You can put up to a 6 pound chicken into the large Rival oval slow cooker. The temperature popper in chicken helps to determine when the chicken is done. If the popper hasn't come up by the time you want the meal to be finished, turn your crockpot to high the last one hour.
- 1 whole frying chicken, rinsed,giblets removed
- 8 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 6 potatoes, peeled
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup dry white wine
- Place chicken, carrots and potatoes in slow cooker.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on high about 5 hours or on low for about 9 hours, until chicken leg and thigh come off easily when pulled.