Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Serve with a Green Salad, Bread and Wine, such as, Pinot Noir or Zinfandel for a perfect meal. Cook time is 5 to 9 hours.
- 1 whole frying chicken, rinsed,giblets removed
- 8 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 6 potatoes, peeled
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup dry white wine
- Place chicken, carrots and potatoes in slow cooker.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on high about 5 hours or on low for about 9 hours, until chicken leg and thigh come off easily when pulled.
I have made this recipe for years. It is so good and with the leftover chicken and stock you can make homemade chicken noodle soup. I add cut up celery instead of potatoes because I serve mash potatoes with my chicken. You can put up to a 6 pound chicken into the large Rival oval slow cooker. The temperature popper in chicken helps to determine when the chicken is done. If the popper hasn't come up by the time you want the meal to be finished, turn your crockpot to high the last one hour.
It's so nice to come home and have a delicious meal cooked and ready to be served. Very satisfying! This recipe was really good and really easy. It only took me a few minutes in the morning to prepare, and the results were great. I used drumsticks instead of a fryer chicken, and they were excellent. The only change I might make in the future is to cut down on the salt by using half of the soup mix. This is a great, easy recipe. Thanks!
This recipe is simple to prepare and fall apart delicious! I left out the potatoes as I was planning to prepare mashed. I chose to use chicken broth instead of the white wine. We did not find the entire amount of soup mix to be too salty. The seasoning was perfect for our taste. I added a bit of flour mixed with water to the juices after the chicken had finished cooking and made gravy to serve over the chicken and potatoes. The carrots were cooked perfectly and our dinner was superb! Thank you, Barb!