Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Southern Living; My step-daughter made this the other night and we thought it was great.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (I use about 2/3 cup, medium)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- taco shell, warmed (or flour tortillas)
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomato
- sour cream
- Cook ground beef in a large skillet over med-high heat, stirring until beef crumbles and is not longer pink; drain well.
- Remove beef; wipe skillet with a paper towel.
- Saute onion in hot oil in the same skillet over med-high heat.
- Add in chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper; cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans, tomato sauce, ¾ cup water, and salsa.
- Mash beans in skillet with a fork, leaving some whole; add the beef back to the skillet.
- Bring to a boil; decrease heat, and simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced.
- Top evenly with cheese and cilantro; cover, turn off heat, and let stand 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve w/ taco shells or tortillas and desired toppings.
Yummy tacos! We wrapped them in flour tortillas. Made a great dinner and leftovers for lunch. Fast to make and filling! Thanks for the recipe!