Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Good and easy cornbread
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Grease the inside of your 8-inch cast iron skillet and place it in the oven.
- In a medium or large bowl, beat your egg and add milk and oil.
- Stir in sugar, then cornmeal, just until moistened.
- The batter should be lumpy- do not overmix.
- Carefully remove your skillet from the oven and pour in the batter.
- Return to oven.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.
- The top of your cornbread should be golden-brown and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean when the bread is done.
- Serve warm.
Sorry, but this cornbread turned out extremely dense and dry. After reading other recipes, perhaps it's because there's no baking powder or soda? I don't know, but no one in my family liked this because it was so dry.
Tried this recipe for the first time tonight, and it was the best cornbread I've ever made. I put 1 1/2 tablespoons of shortening in the skillet, and got it hot enough that the batter sizzled when I poured it in. It made the crust good and crunchy! It was a hit!