Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I don't know if it's the American cheese or the seasoning, but there's just something about this recipe that makes what I think are the perfect fajitas.
Special Fajita seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon crushed chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin (or i)
- 2 large skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced white onion
- 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning mix (see above)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lime juice, from concentrate
- 2 slices real American cheese
- 4 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- cooking oil
- Cut the chicken into small strips, none longer than two inches, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Combine fajita seasoning with water, vinegar, and lime juice in a small bowl.
- Marinate chicken in above mixture, covered and refrigerated, for a couple of hours.
- Cook marinated chicken strips in a wok over medium-high heat until brown (retain marinade). Use cooking oil to prevent sticking.
- Add green pepper and onion, and stir-fry for about 1 minute.
- Add remaining marinade, stir-fry until liquid "escapes".
- Spoon 1/4 of the mixture into the center of one flour tortilla and add 1/2 slice American cheese. Sprinkle with a dash of your pre-mixed fajita seasoning (do this for all four of 'em).
- Fold like a burrito with one end open and wrap in a 12x12 sheet of wax paper. Let sit 5-7 minutes.
- Microwave, still wrapped, 15 seconds each.
- Serve with picante sauce , pico de gallo, or other desired topping.
I made this tonight for dinner. Honestly I wasn't the biggest fan. They didn't seem to have much flavor which surprised me with all spices. I guess when you come from the land of Tex-Mex other things tend to be bland.
These are really good fajitas! Great flavor, I'll be doing these again.. I made more than 4 though, I used the whole pack of tortillas, since there was so much filling, so there's enough for the kids to nuke after school or whatever.