Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Full of flavor and nutrients this traditional Italian recipe is easy to prepare and makes a delightful change from boring baked chicken. Saute'ed chicken is graced with fresh asparagus, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives and a variety of herbs - Makes for a "WOW" one-pan family weeknight dinner.
- 4 whole chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 16 asparagus spears, trimmed, washed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 (9 ounce) box frozen artichoke hearts, slightly thawed
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 1 (3 1/4 ounce) can pitted black olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- Wash and dry chicken breasts; spread out and flatten between two pieces of waxed paper. Set aside.
- Heat the butter and 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 12-inch, heavy-bottom skillet.
- Saute' the asparagus, artichoke hearts, and tomatoes over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Remove from the skillet and reserve.
- Mix together the salt, pepper and onion powder; sprinkle over chicken breasts.
- In a shallow dish mix together the rosemary, thyme and breadcrumbs. Dip the chicken in the egg and roll in the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- To the skillet used for the asparagus and artichoke hearts, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the bay leaves and breaded chicken breasts to the skillet, without crowding the pan. Sauté the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes over medium-high heat, without moving. Adjust the heat, up or down if needed. Turn the breasts and continue to sauté for an additional 2 to 3 minutes until the chicken is evenly browned and cooked throughout.
- Next, add the asparagus, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, shallots, olives and white wine; drizzle evenly with lemon juice. Cover and lower the heat. Cook for an additional minute, turn breasts over, cover, and cook another minute - until wine cooks out.
- Serve over angel hair pasta with a freshly tossed green salad and warm dinner rolls. Bueno Appetito!