Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a quick and easy recipe for a weeknight meal. Its very tasty and very filling. DH loves it when I make this and always takes leftovers to work!
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, brown onion and garlic with ground beef.
- Drain and return to pan.
- Add kidney beans, tomato sauce, water, chili powder, and salt.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add cooked macaroni and stir.
- Add grated cheddar to top, cover and simmer just until cheese melts.
Realizing this is a homemade Hamburger Helper, I didn't pre-cook the pasta to al dente. Just throw it in with a little more water. It worked great and WAY less effort than boiling them first. Family loved this!
It's a good recipe, one you could make quickly to please the whole family. It does need more spice, chili powder and garlic. It is a homemade hamburger helper, which is great. Thanks for sharing!
Some people are such food snobs, it's incredible! Obviously, this is not a 50th wedding anniversary party main course, and this is how I will review it. This was incredible for a quick, easy (for Martha's sake, my guy made it while I was at rowing practice and it came out beautifull)and tasty weeknight evening meal. Bravo for a great addition to my personnal list of regular (as in done regularly, not as in "just a regular meal") weeknight meals!