Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I prefer this with all Granny Smith apples. The original recipe, from Southern Living, calls for half Grannies and half Braeburns, a sweeter apple. Just depends on your own preference. Everything is a cast iron skillet is good!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel apples, and cut into 1/2" thick wedges. Toss apples with cinnamon and 3/4 cup granulated sugar.
- Melt butter in a 10" cast-iron skillet over medium heat; add brown sugar, and cook, stirring constantly, 1-2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and place one piecrust in skillet over brown sugar mixture. Spoon apple mixture over piecrust, and top with remaining piecrust.
- Whisk egg white until foamy. Brush top of pie with eggwhite; sprinkle to 2 tablespoons sugar. Cut 4-5 slits in top for steam to escape.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly, shielding with aluminum foil during last 10 minutes to prevent over browning, if necessary.
- Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes before serving. Serve warm with ice cream.