Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Serve over hot grits or rice. Adapted from "The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern."
Make and share this Easy Shrimp Creole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled but tails intact shells reserved (26 to 30 per pound)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 3⁄4 lbs vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped (about 5 or 6 to yield 2 cups)
- 6 ounces pork sausage, casings removed (hot and spicy)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large poblano chile, stemmed seeded and minced (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked spanish paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and cook the shrimp shells, in the cup of water with 1/4 teaspoon salt added, until the liquid is reduced by half, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Place tomato in a large bowl; strain broth from boiled shrimp shells into bowl with tomatoes.
- Cook sausage meat in a Dutch oven, over medium high heat, until browned and some of the fat is rendered, about 6 minutes; use a wooden spoon to stir and break up the meat while cooking.
- Add the onion, garlic, chili pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper, paprika, and crushed red pepper flakes to the sausage and mix well.
- Cook until the onion softens, about 6 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and shrimp broth, increase heat to high, and cook until tomatoes break down, about 6 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, stir in shrimp and vinegar; cover and let stand until the shrimp cooks through, about 3 minutes.