1/1 Photo of Easy Shrimp Creole
Serve over hot grits or rice. Adapted from "The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled but tails intact shells reserved (26 to 30 per pound)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 3/4 lbs vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped (about 5 or 6 to yield 2 cups)
- 6 ounces pork sausage, casings removed (hot and spicy)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large poblano chile, stemmed seeded and minced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked spanish paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and cook the shrimp shells, in the cup of water with 1/4 teaspoon salt added, until the liquid is reduced by half, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- 2Place tomato in a large bowl; strain broth from boiled shrimp shells into bowl with tomatoes.
- 3Cook sausage meat in a Dutch oven, over medium high heat, until browned and some of the fat is rendered, about 6 minutes; use a wooden spoon to stir and break up the meat while cooking.
- 4Add the onion, garlic, chili pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper, paprika, and crushed red pepper flakes to the sausage and mix well.
- 5Cook until the onion softens, about 6 minutes.
- 6Add chopped tomatoes and shrimp broth, increase heat to high, and cook until tomatoes break down, about 6 minutes more.
- 7Remove from heat, stir in shrimp and vinegar; cover and let stand until the shrimp cooks through, about 3 minutes.
Browse Our Top Creole Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Creole Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Shrimp Creole
Serving Size: 1 (471 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.8
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 203.4 mg
- Sodium 997.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 32.0 g