Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is the easiest etouffee recipe I've ever seen. Buy the shrimp or crawfish already peeled and deheaded to make your time in the kitchen even shorter. Plus, it tastes great!! I usually double the recipe and you can put as much red pepper as you like. You can use shrimp or crawfish. Enjoy.
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup celery
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb deheaded and peeled shrimp or 1 lb crawfish
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Melt margarine on low.
- Add celery and onions.
- Cook until tender.
- Stir occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, combine water, ketchup, salt, corn starch, and red pepper.
- Stir until dissolved.
- Add this mixture to celery and onions.
- Stir, cover, and cook on low for at least 20 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook, covered for 15 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
This etouffee does not taste like etouffee. It tastes like spicy sweet and sour sauce. It was eatable but not great!
We really enjoyed this easy and flavorful recipe. I added a half cup of chopped green pepper with the celery and onions. Also, my shrimp were already cooked, so I added them for just a minute or two at the end to heat through.
This was very good. I tried it as written and my husband liked it. The second time I used fish filets instead of the shrimp and it was equally as good. Thank you! Margie