Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Easy recipe with a Latin flavor. Can be easily be kicked up if you want it to be a bit more spicy. Whole garlic cloves added, I think would be real tasty. I am sure this could be done in a crock pot as well. From Southern Living magazine.
- 1 (4 lb) boneless chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons fajita seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Rub both sides of roast with fajita seasoning.
- Cook roast in hot oil in a large Dutch oven pot over med-high heat until browned on all sides.
- Combine stewed tomatoes and water; pour over roast in Dutch oven.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook 4 hours or until tender.
- Remove roast and shred using 2 forks.
- Skim fat from tomato liquid in Dutch oven, and discard.
- Stir shredded beef into tomato liquid. Combine rice and parsley.
- Serve beef mixture over rice.
Ok so I didn't exactly have the ingrediants this called for so I changed it up a bit substituting cajun seasoning and chilli powder for the fajita seasoning. I also used beef broth instead of water and added about a cup of wine. To get it to cook faster after 2 hours I took the meat out and sliced it then added it back to the sauce and let the sauce reduce with the lid off. It was done in about three hours and my roast was still mostly frozen when I started so all in all pretty quick. Amazing flavor, very tender, didn't have to heat up the whole house, deffinately a 5 star recipe!!!