Recipe by Ailwyn
I tried four or five shortbread recipes but every one ended up too crumbly. I wanted to get close to a "Walker's Shortbread" taste. A co-worker shared this one and it's close - good texture and great taste. It's easy to work with in a shortbread mold, a round cake pan or roll for individual cookies. And it's simple to make. A favorite in Christmas cookie exchanges.
Top Review by cathclair
Terrific! I made up a batch and took into work - every one loved this shortbread (and there are some serious bakers in this group). They melt in your mouth and they don't crumble and fall apart.
- 1 cup butter (room temp. is best)
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup rice flour (found in most grocery stores)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar (or 1/4 c. granulated sugar & 1/4 c. brown sugar for a little different texture )
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar until smooth. Mix in sifted all purpose flour and rice flour. Mix with finger tips (don't use food processor) until dough is crumbly but will stick together if pressed.
- Spread and press evenly in a 8" spring form pan or two ceramic shortbread pans. I like mine about 3/4" thick. If making individual cookies, roll dough into 2" balls and press with decorative cookie mold or bottom of a glass - at least 1/4" thick.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for *45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and with a sharp knife score into eight wedges cutting about 3/4" way through dough.
- Return to oven, bake another *6 or 7 minutes.
- *these times work well in my oven - cookie is lightly browned and can be handled without crumbling or breaking apart.
- Remove pan(s) from oven and let cool on a cake rack. When cool, loosen sides carefully with a knife and carefully separate wedges.
- Lasts several days in a well sealed cookie tin. Freezes well. If carefully packed, ships well.
- Can also be made in 9" x 13" pan and cut into "fingers".
- This recipe makes enough dough for two eight-wedge shortbread pans or 1 8" spring form pan but they are a little thicker in the spring form pan.