Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
More blackberries, less fat, less sugar, easy to make, more yummy for your tummy! The pie has more blackberries than most people would use, but I like blackberries more than I like apples and I don’t like apple pie actually! This makes it gooood! This is a healthy, yummy piece of pie and the only mistake you can make is over cooking it!
- 1 pie shell, frozen
- 3 large apples (the softer the better, I like the red Gala Apples)
- 4 cups blackberries
- 2 ounces coconut sugar crystals (regular granulated sugar works too)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Pre-heat oven to 375 and bake pie shell for 10 minutes (or until lightly brown).
- Mix apples, sugar and water (enough water to cover the apples!) into a pot and simmer until apples are soft & you can fork though it like butter, 6-7minutes [if you like a crunchier apple only simmer for 2-3 minutes] Set aside and let cool a bit.
- Now, in a separate bowl mix melted butter, brown sugar and flour with your hands! Mix until it is crumb-like.
- Ok, now it’s time to assemble the pie! First layer apples down, then blackberries, then apples, then blackberries! Sprinkle the lemon juice over the top. Lastly, with your hand, sprinkle the crumb topping over the top –try to get it nice and thick and try to cover as much as possible.
- Bake for 45minutes and let cool for 15-20 minutes
- Refrigerate after it cools and heat individual slices in microwave for 15 seconds to enjoy later. Cool wip on top is yummy too!
Oooo that was good! I'm kind of full tho 'cause I had to have a 2nd piece! Thank you for that beautiful recipe. I think we figured it out anyway...but the recipe could clarify more specifically how to prepare the apples. We peeled, sliced, and cut them in smallish chunks. And then the recipe didn't say whether to drain the water off the apples or not, but we did! Definitely a keeper!