Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Better Homes and Gardens
Top Review by threeovens
DH loved this he wanted a simple "authentic" shepherds pie He hates ketchup and I nearly freaked when I tasted it as I was assembling, but, no worries! After baking you could not taste ketchup. Did I say he loved it! My go to recipe.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (1 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a big skillet, cook ground beef over medium heat until brown; drain off fat.
- Stir 1/4 cup flour and dry onion soup mix into the meat.
- Stir in cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, 3/4 cup water, and the ketchup.
- Cook until heated through, stirring occasionally; taste for seasoning and adjust.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cup water, butter, and salt; bring to boiling; remove from heat.
- Add dry potato flakes and milk, stirring until combined.
- Stir in eggs, 1 cup flour, and baking powder.
- Spoon meat mixture into an ungreased 3-quart rectangular baking dish; spoon potato mixture in mounds on top of meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, about 25 minutes or until tops of potatoes are golden.