Recipe by robertjfurgeson
My friends and family ask for this when they come over. It's so basic, and simple, go figure!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 (15 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can peas
- 1 (8 ounce) can corn
- 1 (8 ounce) bag sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1 (2 lb) package mashed potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the turkey.
- Add the garlic powder, onion, onion soup and beef broth.
- Simmer until the liquid is almost gone.
- Mix in the peas and corn.
- Fill a 9x13 casserole dish with the meat and vegetable mixture.
- Top with a layer of cheddar cheese - you can leave this out, but I have discovered that when you go to serve The Pie, the cheese helps hold it all together for presentation.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the top. I used to make my own mashed potatoes, because I hate the taste of instant. Now they have ready made real mashed potatoes in the grocery store, and they save 30 minutes of prep time. It helps to heat the mashed potatoes according to the directions on the package -- it makes them easier to spread.
- Bake the whole thing in the oven (350 degrees) for 20 minutes or until it all bubbles, and the potatoes start to brown on top.