Recipe by GirlyJu
Shepherd's pie is a casserole made from layers of ground beef, vegetables, and topped with potatoes. It is simply good eats. My mom, who got this dish from her mom, used to make this for me when I was growing up. I've made a few modifications of my own (like using sweet potatoes instead of russet) and now I make it for my own family. Because the entire meal is served up in the same dish, it's super easy to freeze and reheat, and is a great meal to take to a family in need.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped (or 3 sweet potatoes)
- 1⁄3 cup milk, heated
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen carrots, thawed
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen peas, thawed
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- First, make mashed potatoes: Place potatoes in medium saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to med-low; cover loosely and boil gently for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes break apart easily. Drain well. Mash potatoes until no lumps remain. Add salt, pepper and milk; continue mashing until potatoes are smooth.
- While potatoes are boiling, brown ground beef over medium heat with onion, chili powder and Worcestershire sauce. Drain grease from meat and spread into a large baking dish. (I usually use two 2-quart dishes).
- Add a layer of carrots on top of beef, then add a layer of peas.
- Top with mashed potatoes, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted.