Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A quick meal that easily doubles or triples. Also freezes well. Experiment with different spices to your taste. Also works with ground turkey or lamb. Left over mashed potatoes make this dinner a snap.
- 1 lb ground round
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 16 ounces potatoes, mashed
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese
- Brown ground round, onion and seasonings. Drain fat. Layer in 8x8 pan. Cover with mashed potatoes (left over mashed potatoes work especially well for this recipe).
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until potatoes just begin to brown on edges. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese. Return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese begins to melt.
- Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
Fast, easy, and good. This basic recipe can be customized the way you like it or with what you have on hand. I added sliced mushrooms, green pepper, a few green beans and a couple healthy splashes of Worcestershire sauce.
I have been making this for years(with more cheese). The kids (some are very picky) love it. it's fast and easy. All I have to add is a side veggie.
This simple and delicious recipe is crowd pleasing dish that I will serve again and again. It's easy to prepare and affordable too. I added mixed vegetables to the recipe for additional flavor.