Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Since there is no precooking the ground beef for this casserole it comes together quite easy, just layer ingredients and bake in just one dish, I always season the ground beef with seasoned salt, black pepper, fresh garlic and a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese but that is only optional, you can even sprinkle cheddar cheese in the middle also when layering :)
Top Review by KPD
this was totally awesome and so easy to throw together! i made a few changes to fit what i had and to play into the mexican theme a little more. i used a sleeve of the yellow saffron rice, black beans instead of the corn, a can of pace enchilada sauce instead of the tomato sauce, i added a serrano pepper and some garlic to the onion pepper mixture, i added a layer of cheese in the middle, i seasoned the ground beef with a taco seasoning packet, i used a can of extra hot rotel for the tomatoes, and i partially cooked the bacon and cut it up before adding to casserole. everyone enjoyed this! it was full of flavor and pretty too! i'll be making this several times a month. served with mexican corn muffins. thanks for another winner, carol!!!!
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 cup whole kernel corn, drained
- salt and pepper (I use seasoned salt)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped onions
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef, uncooked broken up into small pieces (do not pre-cook it will cook in the casserole dish, see recipe heading for seasoning)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 6 -8 slices uncooked bacon, cut in half
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or more if desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 450 degrees F.
- Butter a 2 qt casserole dish.
- Layer each ingredient in order given starting with the uncooked rice on the bottom of casserole dish, ending up with the bacon on top (save the cheese for the last 10 minutes of baking).
- Cover, bake for 1 hour; uncover and continue cooking for 20-25 minutes longer.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese the last 5 minutes of baking.